TWI – Training Within Industry – “Job Methods Workshop”
Job Methods – Workshop Overview
TWI (Training Within Industry) is often referred to as the “Roots of Lean“. TWI Job Methods (JM) is specifically designed to help the first level supervisor with his/her responsibility for improving processes and the workplace. The objective of “Job Methods Training” is to help supervisors develop improvement proposals and implement them to get improved results.
Job Methods is a practical plan to help supervisors produce greater quantities of quality products in less time by making the best use of the people, machines, and materials currently available to them.
The supervisor learns to follow this 4-step method in working with his/her people to improve their processes:
- Step 1: Breakdown the job (specify all job details)
- Step 2: Question every detail (5-Whys + 1-How applied to everything in the process)
- Step 3: Develop the new method (Eliminate, Combine, Rearrange, Simplify)
- Step 4: Immediately apply the new method
TWI Job Methods is a 5-Day Workshop consisting of 2 hours per day in the classroom, followed by shop-floor implementations for the remainder of each day.
- Day 1: Definition of a Supervisor Five Needs of Supervisors Supervisor’s Role in Job Improvement Demonstration Job: Current Design Demonstration Job: New Design 4 Steps to Job Methods Improvement The Job Breakdown Sheet Job Methods Improvement Proposal Sheet
- Day 2: Demonstration Job #1 Use of the Proposal Sheet
- Day 3: Demonstration Jobs #2, #3, #4 Proposal Sheets for Job #1
- Day 4: Demonstration Jobs #5, #6, #7 Proposal Sheets for Jobs #2, #3, #4
- Day 5: Demonstration Jobs #8, #9, #10 Proposal Sheets for Jobs #5, #6, #7 Review of the JM 4 Steps and the 4 Get Ready Points
Who Should Attend
The TWI Job Methods Workshop is for those individuals whose work is to supervise and direct the work of others. This includes operations supervisors as well as staff and administration supervisors. Job titles could include:
* Group Leader
* Team Leader
* Lead Hand
Job Methods Training Benefits
- 1. Positively reinforces the role of the supervisor regarding operations improvement.
- 2. Gives the supervisor practical tasks and tools to use.
- 3. Provides learning for the supervisor in a friendly, supportive environment.
- 4. Enables immediate application of the supervisors ideas.
- 5. Involves the supervisor with the workforce in collaborative solutions.
*The Wastes of Manufacturing are all reduced in the supervisor’s immediate domain.